Denmark, Digitally Designed In Minecraft
The entire country of Denmark has been recreated in the sandbox video game Minecraft, in a 1:1 ratio. The map of Denmark in Minecraft was created by Simon Kokkendorf and Thorbjørn Nielsen of the Danish Geodata Agency (Danish: Geodatastyrelsen). To date, it is one of the biggest creations in Minecraft, being made of roughly 4,000 billion bricks as well as one terabyte of data.
The map was made by the Danish Geodata Agency as a teaching tool using a 3D elevation model. The country was split in three regions as follows: north, south and the Eastern Islands. The mapping data used for the Minecraft map of Denmark was provided by the Danish government, given the fact that manually making it would be nearly impossible or it would rather take a long amount of time.
Documentation sources and external links:
- Minecraft players can now download Denmark – all of it – in 1:1 scale on www.theregister.co.uk
- Danish government creates entire country in Minecraft, users promptly blow it up and plant American flag on www.gamespot.com
- Danish government releases geographic data by way of 1:1 Minecraft map on www.arstechnica.com
- Minecraft: All of Denmark virtually created on www.bbc.com
- The entire country of Denmark has been recreated in Minecraft on www.polygon.com