Street Celebration In Reykjavík For Iceland’s Success At Euro 2016
Yesterday the Icelanders have been celebrating their first ever win at a major football tournament over Austria (final score 2-1 in the Group F at UEFA Euro 2016 in France) in the city centre of the capital city of Reykjavík.
The Icelandic national football team won the last match from the group stages at UEFA Euro 2016 in France over the Austrian national football team in the last minutes, with a stunning goal by Arnor Ingvi Traustason, who last played for Swedish Allsvenskan club IFK Norrköping.
The 2016 UEFA Euro edition in France is the Icelandic national football team’s first ever participation at a major international football championship. The team managed to qualify for the Round of 16 from Group F with 5 points (just the same as the winners of the group Hungary, yet the goal difference was higher for the latter), drawing with Hungary and Portugal and winning in the last match over Austria.
With a population of almost 333,000 people, Iceland became the smallest nation in the world to qualify for a major international football championship at UEFA Euro 2016 held in France. Around 27,000 Icelanders bought tickets to France in order to support the national football team. That is approximately 8% of the country’s population!
Thus, the Icelandic national football team will face England in the Round of 16 on the Allianz Riviera stadium in Nice. The match is scheduled on the 27th of June, 2016.
Below you can watch how the Icelandic supporters reacted to the winning goal in the last match of the group stage versus Austria. It was filmed in the Ingólfstorg square:
- Iceland 2-1 Austria: Euro 2016 – as it happened on www.theguardian.com
- Iceland commentator loses his mind celebrating last-minute winner against Austria to secure first Euro 2016 victory on www.independent.co.uk
- Listen to Icelandic Euro 2016 commentator’s amazing celebration of his country’s last-minute winner against Austria on www.dailymail.co.uk
- Iceland fans go mental in Reykjavik after last gasp winner over Austria on www.mirror.co.uk
- Photos: Icelanders celebrating victory over Austria in Reykjavik city centre on www.icelandmonitor.mbl.is
- Icelandic Celebration in Pictures on www.icelandreview.com