0 A.D. Alpha 23 – A Historical Real-Time Strategy Video Game
0 A.D. is a free and open source historical real time strategy video game developed and released by Wildfire Games. It focuses on the Ancient Age and boasts of a multitude of playable civilisations, including the Republican Romans or the Ancient Greeks.
The latest version, labeled Alpha 23 Ken Wood, adds a series of new features over the previous releases, introducing a brand new civilisation, a mod downloader (for mods such as Millennium A.D. which focuses on the Middle Ages, Anglo-Saxons, and Norsemen), colours for diplomacy, an enhanced AI system as well as many other improvements and fixes.
The addition of the Kingdom of Kush (i.e. the Ancient Egyptians) is probably the greatest add-on that this new version comes up with. That, coupled with a series of astounding random maps, makes 0 A.D. Alpha 23 Ken Wood a must for real time strategy fans from all around the world.
The new random maps that have been included in the single player mode are the following ones:
- Lower Nubia;
- Jebel Barkal (the holy mountain of traders near the Nile River);
- Elephantine Island (an island on the course of the Nile River);
- Fields Of Meroë (a peninsula in the proximity of the Nile River);
- Hellas (a random map of ancient Greece; it focuses on a unique part of Greece that changes every time the player starts a new game);
- Dodecanese (an archipelago of 12 Greek islands);
- Scythian Rivulet (a winter map).
The new version of 0 A.D. is accompanied by a series of new skirmish maps as well:
- Via Augusta;
- Butana Steppe.
You can also take a look at the new version trailer here: